A stroke is a serious medical condition that happens when the blood supply to some part of the brain is abruptly interrupted or decreased, leading to sudden death (within minutes) of brain cells.1
- Difficulty speaking, communication, and understanding other people
- Sudden paralysis, numbness, or weakness in the face, arm, or leg
- Eye problem(s) e.g. blurred-, blackened- or double vision
- Sudden and severe headache, that may be accompanied by purging, dizziness, or distorted consciousness
- Difficulty walking e.g. lack of balance or stumbling
It is important to be aware of when the first symptoms of stroke occur because the treatment success depends on how fast patients get help.
There are several types of strokes with ischemic stroke being the most common.
- Ischemic stroke
This occurs when the brain´s blood vessels are narrowed or blocked, leading to decreased blood flow.
- Hemorrhagic stroke
This occurs when a blood vessel in the brain leaks or bursts.
Clinical research proposes that the cannabinoids THC and CBD may be helpful in the treatment of stroke as these cannabinoids have been found to exhibit neuroprotective effects.2
It was shown that cannabinoids can help limit excitotoxicity., oxidative stress. and neuroinflammation, suggesting that they may represent a good pathway when developing future treatments.3
Note: If you have any further information relevant to the connection between Stroke and cannabinoids, or find any of the information inaccurate, outdated or incomplete please contact us here.